  From: "Skeels, Mark A (GE Healthcare)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  To: <fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com>
  Subject: RE: trailering
  Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:17:11 -0500
  This message is from: "Skeels, Mark A \(GE Healthcare\)"
  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

  One of the reasons I brought up the subject is because with the stock
  type trailer when you unload the horse backwards, you really have to
  get
  into the trailer with the horse. This is because with a lead rope on
  the horse unless you have a rope connected to both sides the horse
  tends
  to want to turn around and come head first.

  So if you back your horses out, are you getting into the trailer and
  backing the horse out from the horses head?

  With a stall type 2 horse trailer this isn't a problem, as the horse
  has
  no width to turn around, and you can back them out without getting
  into
  the trailer.

  Just curious as to weather you actually get into the trailer when you
  back them out. We were trying to train them Parelli and they have you
  back them out without going into the trailer yourself. They teach the
  owner to avoid getting into the trailer with the horse if at all
  possible and training the horse on how to load walking in forward but
  unload backing out. Of course they have big fancy expensive trailers,
  probably mostly slant load in their shows, which we do not have. I
  would think at some point you would have to get into the trailer to
  attach the lead rope and string the lead rope out the back. I guess
  every situation is a little different, as far as 2 horse trailers,
  vs.
  stock, vs. slant load and a person would just have to assess the
  situation and do what they think is safe in their situation and with
  their horse.

  I haven't had the issue with the horses skinning the backs of their
  legs, as we stop the horses before they walk off, they usually sorta
  look down and assess the situation some before they walk off.

  Mark Skeels

  This message is from: "Janice Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

  We have done quite a bit of long-haul trailering with both stock
  trailers and slant stall trailers. When trailering with the stock
  trailer, we do just what Karen McCarthy does. Start with them tied
  and
  then turn them loose if they are riding quietly. They almost always
  turn and face the rear and rarely move around at all.

  As far as backing out versus coming out face first...I have seen
  several
  bad situations in which horses got their hind legs skinned up by
  coming
  out face first. A good ol' broke horse might be just fine, but a
  young
  horse or skittish horse can come out too quickly when allowed to come
  out face first. Backing them out leaves me in control of the process.
  Not too fast, one step at a time is a good lesson in handling in
  general, and in my opinion the safest way to unload horses in most
  trailering situations.

  Janice Lee
  Little Farm Fjords
  Valley, Nebraska