This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have not been able to find any eye-witness report of a specific accident where any horse, draft or otherwise, has crushed the steel toe of a safety shoe.

Can anyone point me to a reliable report of a real incident, so I can banish my skepticism? If not, I will continue to suspect this is another urban-legend myth that "everyone knows is true" but no one can support with facts.

Myth Busters investigated a steel-toed shoe myth in episode #53 that originally aired in 2005. They firmly disproved that a large weight dropped on a steel-toe shoe will buckle over and cut off your toes. I would assume that a horse would qualify as a suitably "large weight".

Safety forum discussions of the Myth Buster's episode:
http://list.uvm.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0511B&L=safety&P=9006
http://list.uvm.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0511B&L=SAFETY&P=R3397&D=0

More info about the Myth Buster's episode:
http://www.tv.com/mythbusters/steel-toe-amputation/episode/541391/recap.html

General information about steel toed shoes:
http://www.labsafety.com/refinfo/ezfacts/ezf252.htm

DeeAnna