This message is from: susan cook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I was wondering if some of you used your Fjord horses for competitive trail or endurance competitions. I am wondering if anyone has some experience with that. I hear that drafty horses usually don't do that good...

Yasmine Djabri

Yasmine, Yes, we've done limited distance, both ridden and driven competitive trail up to 35 miles. For years, the Green Mountain Horse Association 15 miler had a large contingent of Fjords. My mare Zoe ( Zoe the Wonder Fjord, who does anything with verve and enthusiasm) was grand champion in one of the rides. Dave McWethy drove the stallion Modellen in several distance rides including the Vermont 100 and did very well with him. Fjords can do it. Do your homework and condition well. The heavier muscled horses are harder to cool and don't do as well in the hotter, muggy weather. I don't feel Fjords are competitive at endurance at the higher distances and faster speeds.
Good luck!

Marcy Baer
Briar Hill Farm
www.briarhillfarm.com