This message is from: Rose or Murph <roseormu...@ywave.com>

Two years ago I bought a GMC crew cab long box, gas engine 4x4. It's a 2006,
not fancy on the inside, cloth interior. I was not looking for fancy, just
wanted fancy under the hood in terms of power. It has the 8.1 liter engine in
it, with an Allison transmission. We brought 3 tons of hay last year from e
Washington, towing a flat bed trailer, down white pass, which has lots of steep
winding turns on the way down, not for the faint of heart. The transmission
performed beautifully keeping the load at the correct speed for the terrain
without having to ride the brakes all the way down the pass. The truck ran
really smooth and nice.

 It is a gas hog, but its okay because it's not our commuter truck, I usually
ride within a few miles of home, so it works. When I tow the horse trailer, a
two horse slant I don't even know its there. I live off a busy highway so its
important that I can accelerate easily.  I had an old ford f 250 diesel, it was
tired.

My brother is a guru mechanic and is familiar with every make/model trucks out
there and follows each make/models troubles from year to year.

He likes this engine in the Gmc, except for the gas use. I told him we were
looking at ford diesels. He told me to stay away from the 6 liters, lots of
problems he had read about. He likes the newer ford diesel engine the 7.1, said
that is a good engine.

He has always said that it really matters how a person drives their vehicles.
If you drive it like you stole it, those vehicles tend to break down from the
abuse. His advice also was to pay attention to acceleration and braking habits,
rapid acceleration followed by hard braking wears things out quicker.

I love my truck. At first I was slightly disappointed I did get my diesel, I
could not find any that were clean enough in my price range. The diesels we
looked at were very, very used. My gmc had 41,000 miles on it when I bought it,
and looked brand new inside and out, ( still does).

I had a great ride today on my mare. Went down by a pond in to some sticky mud.
It was her first time. She did good, the sinking part worried her but she kept
her wits about her. She did not want to move but I just clucked and she pulled
her feet out making big sucking noises, off we went up the hill.

Good luck on truck hunting!

Rosemary and Farra