Charles,

Actually the AS3 language and 8.5 player are very mature and stable, and I
would actually expect very few changes to the core prior to release. The key
is that the Flex Framework development is dependent on AS3/AVM2 being rock
solid. Changes to the low level AS3 bytecode and player would force lots of
changes in the development of the higher level Flex Framework.

AS3/AVM2 needed to be complete far in advance of the Flex Framework
development for framework development, framework stability and framework
testing.

I try to work in AS3 every day if possible. After all, in less than 6 months
many of us will be working in AS3 full time. Learning the new classes and
core changes are critical in switching to AS3.

I delayed when Flex came out and it was a huge mistake on my part. Lesson
learned.

Also make sure to check out "ActionScript Project" in Flex Builder. It is
ideal for game development as your working with just AS3 and the compiler
itself (no Flex Framework needed).

My 2 cents!

Ted :)