Hi,
yeah well, im sure the display list things arent too hard, in my own AS2 projects I developed Control like classes which work like:
var tab = new TabPane (_root);
        tab.addChild (new Tab());
etc (well to be honest the main control would listen to a TabModel and create tabs itself based on that, but that is far too much detail:)),
so only the _root thing gets left out in AS3 ;))).

Note that this discussion is not really about is-it-hard-to-learn or which-is-the-better-language, because 3 weeks and lots of coffee usually tend to get u up to speed on these kind of things and from a maturity viewpoint, im sure as3 will be an improvement over as2. The focus of the discussion is: when to use which? What I am really looking for, is something that was spoken about at Spark as well, but does not really exist yet, is some kind of checklist on which you can go like... "ok my project has these and these kind of characteristics so it falls into a) Flash 8/AS2 b) Flex 2/as3 c) the large grey void in between").

Maybe i'd should just start using Flex2/AS3, anything learned in that area isnt wasted anyway, and fall back on Flash 8 when i hit the wall of impossibilities (or "great challenges" as our projectleaders like to call m).

greetz
Hans