I have been reading this thread with some interest (occassionally
cheering and sometimes getting upset).  We are currently using the Beta
to build an elearning application so I feel I have some useful insights
into the differences between the two.

Firstly I don't think the difference is as straight-forward as forms vs
animation.  Many of the things we build will require a blend.  Certainly
if I was doing anything with forms I'd much rather be building it in
Flex.  It is much faster to develop form based things in Flex.  There is
a level of functionality built into the Flex framework that would take
many man hours to reproduce in Flash.  On the other side I wouldn't want
to do any frame based (as opposed to actionscript based ) animation in
Flex.  But there is a whole spectrum of things that sit between these
two extremes.  Anything that could be built using actionscript can be
built in Flex and once you get used to the way Flex does things I think
they can be built faster and that they will be more reliable.  Also you
can use your Flash built animations in Flex but I'm not sure how easily
you could use your Flex built forms in Flash 9.

Someone suggested that Adobe hasn't done a good job explaining the
difference between the two.  I can't see how you can say that.  There
has been a public beta available for over 6 months and a site almost
entirely devoted to it.  The Samples Explorer is as clear an explanation
as any developer should need.  The only way to really understand the
difference is to attempt to build something with it.

Someone suggests that Adobe's motivation in creating a seperate IDE is
profit.  But the framework itself is free.  I actually don't like
Eclipse myself and have been using a seperate editor for Flex
development.  I always used to use Sepy for my actionscript.  But I
still had to use Flash for compiling.  Now I can compile from the
editor.  I think it will depend on your background which style of
development you will prefer and I think it's great that Flash (as a
platform) can be adapted to suit different needs and is open to Open
Source options.

I also don't think it's helpful to talk about the difference as
designers vs developers.  I don't think that Flex Builder is a designer
free app.  I can easily imagine a workflow where the designer prepares
the layout and look of an area and then the developer connects the
functionality to it.

I think the biggest problem with the introduction of Flex is the
learning curve.  Flex is a new metaphor for Flash development and there
is a lot to get used to.  But some of that new knowledge is really about
the radical changes in Actionscript 3.  That is something that will
effect all of us sooner or later as it will be part of Flash 9.  It is
AS3 rather than Flex that will increase the distance between designers
and devlopers.

Bill Lane