Hello,

Let me try to address a few questions on this thread:

> If I'm wrong, please point me to the documentation, FAQs,
> etc. from Adobe that clearly explain the diferences between
> Flex IDE and Flash IDE, or details about how to integrate
> Flex into my workflow.

We have an article on this up on the site here that hits just this
topic: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/flex2_flash.html

In addition, one of the best articles on this is now a bit old (since
Flex 1.0, 2 years ago), but still worth checking out: The best article
on this has been on our site since the release of Flex 1.0, 2 years ago.
There are a few points in it that are now out of date, because it
certainly predates Flex 2, AS3, the free SDK, the ability to deploy Flex
apps without a server.  But the core ideas in the article are still
excellent and should help:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/flash_perspective.html

-----------------

Metaphors: two cars to get to work?  Or a Boat and Car?

I don't think either of these metaphors is quite right.  But most
complex projects bring together teams of people with multiple skills and
different tools to achieve an aim.  Build a house.  The architect will
use a cad tool, the carpenter hammer and nails, the interior designer
may use photoshop, the painter will brushes, etc etc.  For a given task,
a carpenter could potentially use a hammer or a screw, but based on
experience, preference etc will usually choose one.  There is no one
answer to how a team should build an RIA, but with Flex and Flash there
is now a much richer toolset available to a wider set of people with
differing skills who can work together to build these RIAs (and others
on the team will use Photoshop, or AfterEffects, or a Java IDE, or PHP,
or or or). If we are right that this RIA idea is a fundamental trend,
having multiple metaphors that let more people design and build them is
a good thing.  Look at building Windows apps--you can use C, C++, MFC,
Visual Basic, Flash Projectors, etc.  To build HTML Web Apps you might
use all or a mix of Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Photoshop, JSP, ASP, CF.
Etc.  In some cases one person spans all of these roles and tools and
does it all, but more and more teams of people build these and bring
different experiences and skills to the project, and need different
tools and metaphors to contribute.

-----------------

"Flash for animation and Flex for Forms"?

I think this is a bit too simple.  Certainly at the extremes it is a
relatively valid segmentation, but Flash can be used for Forms and Flex
can be used for animation.  For us, the ideal is to enable teams of
people that bring the media, animation, interaction design skills that
proliferate in the Flash community with the coding/architecture skills
that comes from Computer Science backgrounds (not that these are
mutually exclusely) together to build apps the are both media rich and
data rich, that are both beautiful and transactional, that include forms
and visualization, that integrate with with back end systems from FMS to
JMS to WebServices, that scale and are maintainable.  We have a lot more
work to do, but our aim is to enable seamless workflow for designers and
developers to work together more closely and iteratively to build rich
experiences.  As we release Blaze and we have AS3 in both Flash and
Flex, it will become easier still to integrate the two, and you will see
more and more focus on workflow over time.

For folks who thing Flex is just for "forms", check out:
http://maps.yahoo.com/beta/ (built with Flex 1.5)
http://www.harley-davidson.com/pr/gm/customizer/launchCustomizer.asp
(Built with Flex 1.0)
And take a look at how expressive Flex components can be at Ely's blog:
http://www.quietlyscheming.com/blog/components/animated-dragtile-compone
nt/ and
http://www.quietlyscheming.com/blog/components/fisheye-component/
(requires Flash Player 9 beta 3).

----------------

"Should we have built a single Uber tool instead?"

We sorta tried.  For a while there we tried to make Flash MX all things
to all people.  We found we were not satisfying the designers and
animators and we still had not reached the bar for acceptence by most
developers. Focus matters a lot. A product can't have two design
centers, two "souls". In 1996 Director was the world's leading
multimedia authoring tool and Shockwave was doing incredibly on the Web.
But we looked at the total opportunity and decided to both start
Dreamweaver and focus deeply on the needs of professional web designers
doing HTML as well as aquire FutureSplash, now Flash.  While we had
added web export ("Shockwave") to Director, we knew that it couldn't
compete (for some uses) with a product like Flash that was designed from
the ground up differently, and far more lightweight. In fact, back then,
I was running the FreeHand product line at Macromedia (among other
things)--should we have said, why add another vector graphics tool to
our product line, lets just add a timeline to FreeHand?  It would have
been a frankenstein.  I think the same is true of FlexBuilder and Flash.
Yes, there is some overlap. But the core, the "soul" of the products,
are different and will meet different needs.  If we do our jobs, they
will also work together beautifully.

HTH,

David
Adobe