I don't think it's a question good developer vs bad developer.  The Flex
metaphor was developed to be comfortable to developers coming from a
non-Flash background.  Most of us were attracted to Flash exactly
because it wasn't like those environments.  I think you're correct in
saying that the existing documentation is written with non-Flash users
in mind.  Consequently a lot of Flash users may take a while to "get
it". I'm still struggling with some of the details.  But I'm finding
more and more situations where I'm asking myself ; "is it really that
easy".  But it's taken me quite a few hours to get to that point.

Bill Lane

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 05/24/06 11:03 am >>>
>>> Someone suggested that Adobe hasn't done a good job explaining the
difference between the two.  I can't see how you can say that.  There
has been a public beta available for over 6 months and a site almost
entirely devoted to it.  The Samples Explorer is as clear an
explanation
as any developer should need.  The only way to really understand the
difference is to attempt to build something with it.

While I think the concept of a beta program is great, I spent quite a
few
hours poring over the documentation, and followed a few tutorials, and
I did
not find the clear explanations I was hoping for.  Maybe that makes me
a bad
developer.  But I assume Adobe wants to sell to bad developers as well
as
good ones.  :)  This was a few months ago, so maybe things have
improved.

If I'm wrong, please point me to the documentation, FAQs, etc. from
Adobe
that clearly explain the diferences between Flex IDE and Flash IDE, or
details about how to integrate Flex into my workflow.  Maybe this is
all
coming after the release.  Or maybe it's been added since I looked
through
the labs site.  Where is the practical tutorial for Flash Developers
who
want to transition to Flex?

I want to like Flex.  I really do.  I'm not trying to attack any Flex
developers or any of the smart people who work at Macromedia/Adobe.
I'm
just sharing my personal observations around it so far.  There's
enough
contradictory info in this thread alone to make me think they're not
doing a
good enough job getting the message out.  The ongoing success of Flash
is
important to me personally, and to my career, so I that's why I've felt
the
need to say this.