You mean the Class type then - for a custom class, I think you would
have to create a property to hold that.

class MyClass extends MovieClip{
        public var type:String = "MyClass"
}

class MyOtherClass extends MovieClip{
        public var type:String = "MyOtherClass"
}

In Flash:

var a:MyClass = new MyClass();
var b:MyClass = new MyOtherClass();
trace(a.type)
trace(b.type)

Name usually refers to the instance name.

Jason Merrill
Bank of America
Learning Technology Solutions