So Adobe Director is not alone in behaving oddly with fonts, char sets
and languages ...
... that makes me really look forward to that project now ;)

Thanks,

Nik Crosina

On 4/16/07, James Tu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
We tried the following:
(we're embedding fonts in all cases, also we don't have require any
input fields...we're just displaying Arabic)

-Copied Arabic text into a static text field...flash actually
reverses the characters.  So we copied reversed text a static field.
Then when we published, it seems that the characters were not being
displayed correctly.  An arabic reader took a look at it and told us
that the arabic characters didn't connect to each other correctly!
It's as if you took English script characters and broke them apart!

We then tried a few more experiments...
- copy and pasted Arabic text (normal order) into a dynamic
field...flash flipped it.  But when you publish it for Player 8, the
order of the text is correct, but the characters looked disjointed
again.

-We published it for Player 7 and this time everything looked
perfect.  The order of the text was correct and the characters looked
connected!!!

We basically have all the text assets in a separate .swf (published
for Player 7) and we're using it as a runtime shared library.  Our
main app is published as Player 8.

Has anyone else seen this?  Am I not doing something right here? I'm
shocked that support for Arabic (and I'm assuming other RTL
languages) took a step backwards from Player 7 to Player 8.  I wonder
what it is in Player 9.

-James

Nik C