can you take what David said, only actually skew the text/object with the free transform to give the illusion of 3D depth...ie: make the top of the text thinner and the bottom wider. this will give the perception of the top of the text going back into space and the bottom being out towards the viewer. I did it in Illustrator...so I figure you can do it in Flash. now, animating it that way might be trickier...

On Jul 2, 2007, at 2:41 PM, Hans Wichman wrote:

whether you screw or skew the movieclip that still wont be a perspective
distortion:)

On 7/2/07, David Ngo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Couldn't you just stick a TextField inside of a MovieClip then use a
transformation matrix to screw the MovieClip?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Zeh
Fernando
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2007 2:17 PM
To: flashcoders@chattyfig.figleaf.com
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] Skewing text

> I need to skew some text to give the impression it is going off into
> the distance (think opening text on Star Wars, though without
> movement). I know this effect can be done using the triangular method
> as used in Papervision. However I'm not creating a 3D scene here, I
> just want the skewing. Can this be easily done with Papervision, or
> can anyone recommend any other resource (AS2 only)?
>
> I understand the principles behind the technique, I just don't want to
> re-invent the wheel by implementing from scratch.

The effect is not just skewing. It *is* 3d, in the meaning that the
perspective is distorted because the middle points are moved away
depending on the angle. So yes, your faster/best bet would be to use any
3d class such as Papervision3D. It should be fairly simple as you'll
just need a rotated plane with the content of a movieclip projected on it.

Zeh

Jay Carlson
Senior Web Designer
Dillinger & Kovach