With regards these security restrictions, I assume then because I am testing
from the Flash IDE, this is treated as referencing an HTTPS URL where the
movie that makes the request is not served over HTTPS?

The cross-domain policy xml does not contain protocol references, so I'm not certain if that is the issue. If it works using HTTP, then I wouldn't think the domain would be the issue.

But I'm pretty newbie to Flash, so someone else can probably set it straight.