-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Steven Sacks
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2007 1:09 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; flashcoders@chattyfig.figleaf.com
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] Intro to OOP using ActionScript

 > What is a "subroutine"? Not used in this millennium. Seems to be a
 > concept from the distant past.

Distant past?  Subroutines are the foundation of DRY and OOP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subroutine

This is exactly what I mean by developers taking for granted what it
took to get them where they are, and I think it proves my point.  You
learn something until you forget it, meaning it becomes second nature
and you cease to think about it, it has become hardwired.

So, while the term "subroutine" might feel like a "concept from the
distant past", that's because it is a concept from your distant past
when you were first cutting your teeth that has become something that is
now simply accepted knowledge, and you take for granted that you
understand it.

A subroutine is one of the foundational concepts of programming,
especially OOP, and understanding subroutines and why they're used is
fundamental to programming in general.  Again, there are more to the
basics of programming than just knowing Arrays, Strings, Numbers, math,
iteration, etc.  OOP is just not beginners territory.  Intermediate at best.

If you wanted to teach OOP at a conceptual level without digging into
actual code, I could see a use for that, but you can't teach coding 101
while teaching a 300 level course.