You might also want to look at Sandy.
It is a 3D engine for Actionscript.
Very easy to build 3D applications that might be fun for the kids.

Check out Script_in_Action forum for resources and links.

Mike Reilly wrote:
Thanks so much to all of you for such quick responses.  I'm sure my
students will benefit from many of the links that you've already sent.

Since I'm not the best at clarity when writing, I'll throw out what
started this thinking.  I read Andy Harris' "Beginning Flash Game
Programming For Dummies", and I think the level of that book was
awesome for intro.  I have also been using Greenfoot.org as a
supplement to teach Java, as kids love games whether it's intro or
more advanced (remember, these are 14-17 year olds, and we're trying
to generate an interest in programming).

So this semester I'll be trying to develop an OO approach, using
Actionscript (can't install anything else without formal district
approval).  Some of the resources forwarded should be very helpful,
and I truly appreciate all support.

I'll be reading Moock's "Essential ActionScript 2.0", combining it
with Harris' "Dummies", to create "Essential Games for Dummies"!

On a serious note, how do you get an "enter_frame" event handler to
work inside an AS file?
It works but you shouldn't use it . Look at using intervals.
Try not to teach bad programming practices to kids at that age.

You might also want to read "Heads Up Design Patterns" just to find out the "right" way to do many things. It is oriented to Java but all relevant to ActionScript.

Ron
Thanks again, I won't bother you all much more.  Please take a look at
last year's kids work:  www.nghsit.com/studyhall

Mike