Hi Dave,

There are various ways of looking at this. Although it may seem ridiculous that you can't develop any technology you wish, the flip side is that many inventions would never be produced if, after years of hard work, the inventor's creations could be easily copied and exploited by others. Patent laws are supposed to allow the inventor to reap the profits of his or her work for a certain number of years.

If you use someone's patented idea, even without being aware you're doing so, then you're violating their patent right and they can legally come after you. Whether you're using someone else's idea might be pretty obvious or it might be a very subtle issue, which is why patent litigation can take years to resolve. Whether they come after you will probably depend on how aggressive they are in enforcing their rights, how clear or vague the violation is, and how deep your pockets are (why sue someone who's broke?).

[Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and the above is a lay interpretation of information I have gleaned from lawyers and other sources.]

Best wishes,
Marc

At 01:25 PM 1/2/2008, you wrote:

Question - as a software developer, are we free to create anything we want if we use our own, from scratch, code? For instance, we created a Flash based Virtual Makeover application a couple years back. We may make a new one for a new client but our old client has issue. Evidently they "invented" this makeover system, and even have a patent: http://tinyurl.com/2yxj8v But there are other examples of such systems. Maybe they're not identical, but the good ones work much the same. To me, it's utterly ridiculos that I could be stopped from writing any kind of software. I could make a Riven clone called Raven if I wanted, couldn't I? Anyone have any input?


Dave -
Head Developer
http://www.blurredistinction.com
Adobe Community Expert
http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

_______________________________________________
Flashcoders mailing list
[email protected]
http://chattyfig.figleaf.com/mailman/listinfo/flashcoders

Reply via email to