Dave

I've lost count of the number of apps like this we've worked on. There
are several issues here to address that are wider reaching than just
TextFormatting.

Firstly you need to think about the character sets each of the various
versions will need for deployment. Are all of your required versions
only going to require Latin characters ? What about Crylic and other
more complicated requirements ? Your choice of typeface (and available
character sets) will could be limiting unless you plan carefully. After
all there's no point over-weighting a .swf file with characters your not
going to use.

Look at shared fonts as your best solution to this. By loading an
external .SWF file with the required font, and/or font nodes you can
dynamically change the display at run-time, negating the need to
re-compile the file for each version.

>From the storage of content - I'd always recommend to run with XML.
Makes it soooooooooo much easier to change elements at runtime than the
flash panel which relies on the end user being able to re-compile the
flash.

In terms of the language variations affecting design - this one
ultimately comes down to educating the creative to design/produce a
framework which allows for flexibility. If you need customised 'pretty'
buttons then build them as extensions of the components (or custom ones
from scratch) that will automatically size where needed.

Pete