I don't understand the subtleties here. Just because XHTML was following
it's own rules doesn't mean it was within best practices to use AS E4X to
parse it. I'm quite sure it is not considered best practice to work with
HTML in XML child nodes, without either CDATA or encoded entities, and your
experience reflected that.

And, although my opinion is insignificant, I would have done exactly what
you did. Best practices are just that, guidelines for which we should
strive. But, since there's no XHTML parser at the ready, you work with what
you have.

All of this is beside the point, however. I did not cite your example as a
criticism. I prefer not to do that. I mentioned it because I was suggesting
that maybe this recent question was posed because the author couldn't change
the source, just as you couldn't. And, therefore (best practices or not) the
author had to work with a hyphenated attribute name.

I think it would be difficult to find a defense for hyphenated attributes,
but there still may be times when you must work with them.

On 7/2/08 4:42 PM, "Steven Sacks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Just because I'm parsing XHTML using the XML parser in Flash doesn't
> mean that the XHTML is not following best practices.  CDATA in XML is a
> best practice, but not in HTML.  I'm using the Flash E4X parser to parse
> HTML, which, while technically possible, has its own set of challenges
> due to XML expecting XML not XHTML.

Rich
http://www.LearningActionScript3.com