Hi,

If you don't care about learning the code, why would you care about
whether it's AS3 or not?

To me that point is missing from Colin's argument, Adobe made the effort
to include 2 VM's so old content would be supported. Just us AS2. Am I
missing something?

I think so... From the article, it's clear the he's not saying, "let's go
back to on/onclipevent" handlers, but rather make it as easier for people
who are not programmers and / or are not interested in learning about OO,
inheritance, packages and stuff (which is a respectable position, IMO). What
he says is, give these people an easier interface in the authoring tool and
behind the scenes convert that input into AS 3 code. Which I think is
perfectly reasonable and not even technically complex to implement. So, if
you're a coder and you want to have more control and make things more OO,
neat, clean and such, great. But you shouldn't be forced to go that way for
adding even the simplest functionality.

I agree with the article and with what Steve has pointed out already.
Even from an historical point of view, I think that what made the flash
platform ubiquitous was that many people started to create cool stuff for
it. And that was possible because there was a relatively low entry barrier.
Think about Java on the client side. How many applets do you find around
nowadays? Was it because the Java technology was inferior to Flash? I think
not, and probably it's still (and certainly was) the opposite way. But to
build an applet, you needed to have a fair knowledge of programming. And
even then, truth is, especially for the UI part, you can build something
that looks way better, in less time, without having necessarily formal
knowledge on programming.

Of course, when you start to build more complex stuff, things will
necessarily get more complex and having better tools and following good
pratices will save you time and allow you to even make it possible in the
first place. But if you want to do something simple in the simplest possible
way, why not?

Cheers
Juan Pablo Califano