Mark Winterhalder wrote:

> Nitpicking, but just as anything digital the SWF opcodes essentially
> are 1s and 0s, too. :)

Fair enough. Following that to its logical conclusion, _everything_ on your
computer is 1s and 0s, including the text in this email ^_^

You clearly understand what I was saying, Mark, but just a brief
reiteration: compiled ActionScript has to be interpreted by the VM, which is
_always_ slower than compiling directly to machine language.

When I was doing Director full time, I ran some tests that showed C++ to run
up to 400 times as fast as Lingo. I lobbied for years to get a true
machine-language compiler for Lingo, at least for desktop apps. I was struck
by how few developers understood the implications, and without other
developers clamoring for the need for speed, Macromedia never went there.
Director could have been a major player in the 3D game world.

And don't tell me that Director 3D is "fast enough". Hard-core gamers buy
$8,000 machines to squeeze every last fps out of their games. With lights,
shaders, high-poly objects, multiple cameras, Director is just not fast
enough for a Quake or Doom LAN party. And, of course, neither is Flash.

> Anyway, the new VM supports JIT compilation to native machine code. I
> must admit I don't know if /all/ code gets JIT compiled or only
> hotspots, and I don't know if it will be recompiled for each use to
> "hardcode" variables, but that would also have implications.

One major implication would be in loops. The complier would  have no way of
knowing if an array would change length in a loop, for example, so it
couldn't hard code the length.

Cordially,

Kerry Thompson