If you want sub-pixel movement, you must turn smoothing on for the asset,
but there are a few "gotchas" that I'm aware of:

1) If DisplayObject/MovieClip has any filters applied to it (blur, drop
shadow, etc.), I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get sub-pixel movement. It
will only move on whole pixels which would explain that undesirable effect
you described.

2) If you're animating a TextField with anti-aliasing set to "anti-alias for
readability", you'll probably get some visual vibration as it moves.
Obviously bitmap text (no anti-aliasing) won't work well for sub-pixel
movement.

3) In certain scenarios, Flash will not allow smoothing on subloaded assets
from other domains unless you have a crossdomain.xml file in place. It's a
security thing.

If your asset is a raster image in your library, you can simply right-click
on it, choose properties, and select the "allow smoothing" checkbox. If it's
a BitmapData object, you'll need to enable smoothing when you create it
through code.

If it's not a raster image, could try creating a BitmapData of your asset,
set smoothing to true, and animate that in order to get the sub-pixel
movement. Not sure it would give you great results, but it's worth a shot.

Hope that helps.

Jack