Yes, this I understand. As I view Flex, it is definitely the way to go.
I even thought, that maybe, in 5 years time (or 10...) Flash will disappear as a development tool (Adobe is already referring to Flash as the Platform, not the tool, or at least tries to beamcast it to our brains). Flash being the underlying technology, it is too hard, complex and dark to shine out as a development tool. It is an older generation.
I just hope I won't be programming in 10 years ;)

Fair enough - but - I'm kind of separating out the argument here, now.

The differences in version control and command-line stuff are not to
do with the Flex _framework_ (UI, classes etc.) but to do with the
Flex _compiler_ and environment.

You don't have to touch MXML or embed any of the Flex classes to be
using the Flex compiler and environment.

HTH,
   Ian