Thanks jim - really appreciate the guidance

-----Original Message-----
From: flashcoders-boun...@chattyfig.figleaf.com
[mailto:flashcoders-boun...@chattyfig.figleaf.com] On Behalf Of Jim McIntyre
Sent: 02 January 2009 14:18
To: Flash Coders List
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] Distributing packaged file on the Mac

Paul,

Simplest route: If your app is self-contained, just place it in a
folder, then drag the folder onto the Disk Utility application
(installed in /Applications/Utilities). Choose "compressed" for the
format - which will also make the volume read-only, and choose a location.

If you want to tweak the appearance of the Finder window that opens when
the disk image is mounted, then choose the "read/write" format instead
of "compressed". After the image has been created, mount it and make the
changes you want, unmount it, and use Disk Utility to convert it to a
compressed image. There are a couple of tools out there to help you
customize the image - just Google. (I haven't used any so I can't
recommend one.)

A very unscientific test just now suggests that a compressed disk image
adds about 50 K of overhead to the size of the material (after compression).

Hope this helps,
Jim