Depends on the target audience, and the requirements of your application.

Many smaller Mac apps, especially shareware or freeware published online, is distributed in .dmg (disk image) format. Double-clicking the .dmg file mounts the image, which can be in a compressed, read-only format. The appearance of the Finder window that opens when the image is mounted can be customized to include design elements and simple instructions.

One common technique is to place an alias to /Applications at the root level of the disk image, allowing the user to copy your application's folder into their Applications folder. Firefox and Thunderbird both use this approach.

That works only if your application is self-contained, and doesn't need to install files into other locations before first launch.

Let me know if you want more info.

-Jim

Paul Steven wrote:
I have created a game using Flash CS3 and would like to distribute it for
the PC and Mac. For the PC, I am using the free "Inno" installer to create
an installer. However for the Mac, I am not having much joy finding a
suitable installer application. Can anyone recommend a Mac installer? This
is a one off job so I don't want to spend too much on the Mac installer
software. The game is a single file with all assets embedded so I am not
looking for anything too complex.

I guess the alternative is just to zip the file and distribute it as a zip
but my client is keen to have an installer to make it really simple for
users.

Thanks and a happy new year to everyone!!

Paul