Somewhere I had a link to an excellent article on the Flex component
lifecycle - but I can't find it here at home. I'll try and dig it out
tomorrow - sorry, I know that's useless of me!

In the meantime, a quick hunt around the 'net came up with this, which
is a pretty decent overview:

http://flexcomps.wordpress.com/2008/05/09/flex-component-life-cycle/

HTH,
   Ian