[Merrill, Jason]
>>> Right, except in a case like this memory problem, you did say when
we
> were trying to troubleshoot my problems:

[Watts, Dave]
>>Well, that's no different from any other upgrade, And it'll have to go
through the same approval process, I would think, right?

Well yeah, but each time - so I got FB 3 approved, but now that I have
this memory problem, to fix it you're saying upgrade Eclipse.  Well
guess what?  That means another lengthy approval process and review
(time and resources) to approve a newer version of a piece of software
that should have worked in the first place.

>> In any case, I strongly suspect that your Tivoli package was the
problem.

Yes, I would almost bet money on that.  But I really think the reason it
was so hard to package and how it got messed up was because of the
complexity of how Adobe made it an integrated part of Eclipse - not a
single piece of software.  On my machine, Flexbuilder 3 and Eclipse
exist in two different directories, I'm not sure how that happened or if
that is how Adobe set it up.

>>Open source is a security risk? Really? That's just a bizarre
statement to make

Uh, YEAH!  And that's not a "bizarre" statement. Maybe you don't agree
with it, but it's certainly not bizarre.  This is a known issue in large
corporations. Here is a very recent article on a study that explains it
better than I can:
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/072108-open-source-security-risk.h
tml  -  and another take on the same article:
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-123151.html  the first paragraph
reads, "Open source software is a significant security risk for
corporations that use it because in many cases, the open source
community fails to adhere to minimal security best practices, according
a study released Monday." Yes, with open source, you don't have business
relationships with the "company" - anyone could be part of the
development, from anywhere, and because any almost Joe Schmoe can
contribute to the codebase if they sign up and have skills, they don't
necessarily adhere to guidelines.  Yes, it is a higher security risk to
use open source rather than using software developed by Microsoft,
Apple, Cisco, IBM or Adobe for example.  An entity with a proven track
record, including a record of security measures, and business
relationships with my company.  And you're right, not having someone to
sue IS a risk.

>> From the end-user's perspective, when you install it
>>with the integrated installer
>> you just run setup.exe and click next over
>>and over again just like any other Windows application, and all the
>>files get dumped in one directory.

Dave,   you make it sound so simple, it's not that simple.  They tear
open the installer before it even gets to me.  They look at all the
files involved, what types they are, what they do, how they interact,
etc.  Remember, I work for one of the world's largest companies and IT
security is one of our top priorities.  When they guy called me on the
phone, he asked about Eclipse, and was confused why that was getting
installed when what was being approved was "Flexbuilder".  When I tried
to explain that its essentially all one app - that Flex uses Eclipse as
a base, he didn't get it.  When I said Eclipse was an open source
application that Adobe built Flex on, he was further confused and
concerned about security.  You can see the headaches that causes.  Well,
maybe not, but it did.

Jason Merrill

Bank of  America   Global Learning
Shared Services Solutions Development

Monthly meetings on the Adobe Flash platform for rich media experiences
- join the Bank of America Flash Platform Community