> This pattern repeats itself to the end of the book.  It's a terrible way to
> teach something.  "We'll teach you the wrong way, then we'll tell you it's
> the wrong way after you already learned the lesson."  Do they know nothing
> about the learning process?  Apparently so.

Actually, this approach is pretty common in all sorts of training
material. You learn the easy way first, then you learn the drawbacks
of the easy way, then you learn the right way.

If you just jump to the right way, students will discover the easy way
on their own after training, and just do that instead. Also, they'll
have to learn a bunch of concepts at once in class, rather than
learning them one at a time.

I know that in Flex classes, the biggest problem students generally
have is understanding why they should use custom events instead of
just binding to component properties. If you took that on all at once,
you'd lose a lot of people.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/