Hi,

UK DDA has not been fully tested yet with websites, but the emphasis is on encouraging people to implement "good practice".

Niqui Merret has done some good practical stuff about accessibility - I went to a session at FOTB 2007 which is fairly "ageless" as it discussed approaches rather than technology.

   http://niquimerret.com/ has various articles and links.

If the "accessibility" bit is an addition to the spec' / agreed contract, you will need to sit down with the client and make sure that you agree on any extra charges / what's not included, etc. If the client makes you jump through too many hoops for this it could get annoying and damage your relationship, so be up front with them.

I think one idea would be to identify the visitors who may have different needs when accessing your game, etc. As it is a game, it may not be possible to accommodate all user types, but with some careful planning you can cover a lot of bases and then tell the visitors what you have done to address the needs of everyone.

I am not sure why the requirements of FP6 are essential - my guess is that you are stuck doing some government / civil service contract, but you may need to carefully look at the tools provided for helping you create more accessible content in later versions of Flash and possibly argue your case here. (IMHO, It's high time the IT departments of many of these org's pull their fingers out anyway as far as upgrading is concerned.)

There are quite a few resources to do with UK guidelines for websites, which I would look at interpreting carefully for games, here are some of my "web" ones collected over time...:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/
   http://www.w3.org/WAI/
http://www.uiaccess.com/dda-uk.html http://www.rnib.org.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/code/public_rnib008789.hcsp

http://www.publicsectorforums.co.uk/page.cfm?LANGUAGE=eng&pageID=1701&lowres=true

   http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/full-checklist.html
http://www.w3.org/WAI/wcag-curric/int1-0.htm

http://www.freedomscientific.com/downloads/jaws/jaws-downloads.asp http://www.hobo-web.co.uk/design.htm Anyway, that's a start, but remember it's about usability & accessiblity not just doing a high contrast colour scheme for partially sited people :)

   Hope this helps a bit.

   Glen
Paul Steven wrote:
Thanks - I am not sure why they specified international as the game is aimed
at the UK only.

Whatever the region, can anyone give me a quick summary of what elements of
a flash (flash player 6) game, one can affect with regards accessibility?
Does this relate primarily to any textual content?

Thanks

Paul