> Why not just call it a primitive then?

Well, while they're generally the same sort of thing, they can be
different - in many languages, a string isn't really a primitive type
but represents an instance of a String object or an array of
characters, etc. I think the point of calling them "atomic" is to
indicate that they don't have properties of their own that correspond
to other objects. (atomic == indivisible).

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/