God what a nightmare! If your client's machine reliably crashes
quickly, testing on that is *definitely* the way to go.

Your bug seems so random, it could be anything. I had something
similar once with a font which would randomly bork the flashplayer. It
may well be that flash just hates your enormous movieclip, even if
it's just a dotted line. My first test would be to remove entirely any
huge clips like that.
Like i say, don't be meek: rip out half of your game for each test, so
you can drill down quick as poss.

Sorry i don't have an answer other than plain common sense. Maybe
someone out there knows a more technological method?

Sent from my mobile device