From: flashcoders-boun...@chattyfig.figleaf.com
[mailto:flashcoders-boun...@chattyfig.figleaf.com] On Behalf Of Ian Thomas
Sent: 04 September 2009 19:22
To: Flash Coders List
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] Rather urgent advice on how to track the cause of
a crash

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 6:16 PM, Paul Steven<paul_ste...@btinternet.com>
wrote:

> The game is basically a top down flying game with a scrolling background
> (JPG 5120 X 4320). The flash movie is published at 1600 x 1200 30 FPS. It
> includes an embedded FLV video on the Splash screen which is apparently
> 639kb of video data. There are no audio files in the game.

Only immediate thing in that is that bitmaps in Flash Player 8 and 9
need to be less than 2880 x 2880 pixels or bitmap functions will
simply fail. (Doesn't apply to Flash 8/9 content being run in Flash
Player 10, afaik).

Other than that - my normal approach to such things is to find a way
to replicate the error if possible, comment out potentially offending
code in large chunks until the crashing stops, uncomment code
gradually until it starts crashing again. Judiciously combined with
trace statements which show you how far along execution has got. That
should narrow down the routines causing the problem. Can't think of
any immediate solutions other than that, sorry!

HTH,
   Ian