in my mvc setup, i use a set of public static constants for event types on
the model object and dispatch(new Event(ModelObject.CUSTOM_EVENT_TYPE));
when the listening object receives it, it goes and retrieves the data from a
public variable / accessor on the model.

There are plenty of reasons to use custom events but they're not necessary
for every event situation even without using the Signals object