Yes from the various examples I saw, i felt photo realistic was hard to
reach. Some says its not yet ready even on desktop apps.
As for mixing 3d and video, adidas has a pretty good example :

http://www.adidas.com/de/campaigns/outdoor/outdoor_relaunch/content/?strCountry_adidascom=en

i just warned the modeler about low polygons models, he told me he's
planning to use very simple shapes, and add a detail map and lighting map
over them.
Sound like a good idea, but I need to learn about away3D map/texture
possibilities quite quickly.

One assumption I made is its easy (at least possible) to dynamically load a
bitmap and apply it on the model ?

mika