http://www.marijnspeelman.nl/blog/category/actionscript-30/

Best,
Karl

On Jul 19, 2011, at 5:04 AM, Gerry Beauregard wrote:

Thank you Paul and Karl for your responses!  Interesting discussion!

On 2011-07-19  , at 17:36 , Paul Andrews wrote:

On 19/07/2011 10:27, Karl DeSaulniers wrote:
Hi Paul, Gerry,
Are these runtime calls, or calls to set up runtime?
How is the swf published? Local? Server?
If Local, you could try javascript.
Calling the javascript before you need the results in flash.
Then que the results so there is no latency, like a buffer?

If server, I would go with Paul's socket suggestion or a perl script.
Or call the php before you need the results in flash.
A small php script takes milliseconds to execute.

Maybe, but there's network latency to be added to that. DSP usually requires fast real-time processing, so latency defeats the object of using native code. My suggestion about the socket server would be to install that on the client, not a remote server. Even so I suspect the latency will be too big.

The application involves real-time audio DSP with very low latency. Audio data would need to be passed from the AS3 code to the native code for processing, with results passed back from the native code to AS3. It'd be a lot of data, easily a half dozen streams of 16- bit 44.1kHz audio.

Given the amount of data involved and the real-time low-latency requirements, it's almost certainly not practical to go through php, perl, or javascript bridging code.

I sort of expected that calling native code in an efficient way wouldn't be possible, due to the security sandbox issues as Paul mentioned. I was just hoping there was some trick to do it... Maybe with signing of native binaries so they're considered trusted by Flash? Maybe having the user give permission to use native code (analogous to how the user needs to give permission to use the microphone input, for example)? But I guess there isn't :-(

Looks like I'll have to squeeze whatever performance I can from code written in AS3. Looking on the bright side, at least I can stick to one language :-)

Thanks again for all your suggestions and feedback!

-Gerry

Karl DeSaulniers
Design Drumm
http://designdrumm.com