As a quick addition to my previous message:

What you also can try, is to create a layout file with the region of
size 16MB, and then set the option to only write this region. The area
outside the region will not be modified.
If you decide to go this way, please read manpage, especially -l and
-i options https://flashrom.org/classic_cli_manpage.html

--
Anastasia.