Agree to most of your views Nishtant, specifically the fact that we need to
be good programmers at the end of the day. Being stubborn (oh yes
stubborn!) & disciplined to extensbility, scalability of the app
architecture, good code writing practices is something that will stand you
apart in the crowd. Strict usability practices/guidelines is another area
(if you are serious about UI) that you should focus on. But I still dont
buy in the whole propaganda of 'fire in the mountain .. run run run', but
then its not all hunky dory as well.

Adobe's priorities have changed, they are a company and its their own right
to invest in what they think would be most valuable and good investment for
them. People still do not realize that when flash for mobile devices (and
thus flex in a way) was not dumped, there were still alternatives, and you
could still develop apps without using flex, weighing the odds of the
options available (at that time or today) is still very subjective and
depends on use cases. Flex is still a choice, but the future of
technology/platform is uncertain. I would (and everyone should) see this as
an opportunity to apply all that you have learnt with flex in other
frameworks. extJS do makes sense. Think about working with SVG, canvas
directly in the browser. HTML5 capabilities are not there yet,
and undoubtedly flex is ahead, but flex clearly is not the future, HTML5
is.

Thanks
Saurabh