This pattern worked for me:

---- PanelTemplate.mxml -----
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Panel xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"; width="200"
height="200" initialize="addNewChildren()" >
<mx:Metadata>
[DefaultProperty("newChildren")]
</mx:Metadata>
<mx:Script>
<![CDATA[

 public var newChildren:Array;

 private function addNewChildren():void
 {
 if (!newChildren)
  return;

 for (var i:int = 0; i < newChildren.length; i++)
 {
  addChildAt(newChildren[i], i + 1);

]]>
</mx:Script>