I think you could probably do well in either. I've worked in both. I think
that there's a lot to ColdFusion's Java underpinnings that allow you to take
advantage of Java libraries in the open source world. Since you mention
reports, you should know that CFReport/ReportBuilder are based on some
freely available Java libraries (Jasper and iReport I think). Also the
cfdocument PDF functionality is iText under the covers. I'm biased towards
CF as I think the syntax is more readable, but languages are just tools.
It's what you choose to do with them that counts.

PS: This is a bit off-topic for flexcoders...

--
Howard Fore, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The universe tends toward maximum irony. Don't push it." - Jeff Atwood