----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Kerr" <fusionp...@yahoo.com>
To: <flexcoders@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 9:25 AM
Subject: [flexcoders] Re: Flex server language

>I recommend you take a serious look at ColdFusion .  Here is an Adobe site
>that talks the
> features and benefits of building RIAs with Adobe Flex/ColdFusion.
> http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/flex_cf.html
>
> It is clearly the best fit promoted by Adobe.  Adobe does a lot of work to
> bring Flex and CF
> together, such as out-of-the-flex support within CF.
>
> I agree. Any software language can meet any requirement.
>
> But, from my 20 years of doing/managing development in many different
> server
> technologies ... CF is by far the fastest to train, learn and implement
> rapidly.  Since you
> know php, adding CF to your skill set will be any easy route to take.
> After all, ColdFusion
> is Java....just a heck of a lot easier.
>
> Good thing that Flex is Flexible and you can choose.  I have some Flex
> apps that use CF,
> .Net, and Java on the back-end ... since in a Web 2.0/SOA architecture ...
> you can have
> many backends to a single Flex app.
>
> ... and the end user doesn't care what "shop" or "camp" your technology
> religion is anyway.
> :)
>
> Give CF a try. It will only take you a day to have your first Flex/CF app
> up and running!
>
> Don Kerr

Coming from a Java background and having had some small exposure to CF, I
would agree with Don, particularly with the features that CF offers besides
the scripting language and DB support - reporting especially.

One thing really does concern me though about CF - how is it faring in the
marketplace? In some quarters you'd imagine it was a dead technology from
the way it is talked about and there always seems to be a disparity between
it's functionality and takeup.

Adopting a core serverver-side laguage is not easy - the market seems pretty
fragmented.

Paul