From: Jeffry Houser <j...@farcryfly.com>
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Re: Flex server language
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, February 20, 2009, 4:29 PM

  It's easy to get things done / setup if you already know what you're
doing.  But, lets compare apples to apples here.

 It seems logical to me that someone wanting to install CF would start
at Adobe.com , and from there could easily find and download the
installers.

 I chose, Products ColdFusion, and download Free Trial.  Login and I
can either download the developer edition or the trial edition; with
various options for language and/or OS.

 The CF install process is relatively painless across operating systems
and across web servers.  I have no doubt Adobe (Macromedia / Allaire)
has devoted time to making that easy over the years.

 I doubt the download / install can be done in 10 minutes, but it is a
relatively painless process.

 On the other hand, if I go to PHP.com (oops, I mean PHP.net ) I click
the download link in the nav bar it gives me 6 options for Windows
Binaries, I have 6 options of 5.2.8 for Windows.  I have no idea which
one is the I need; but none of them are labeled WAMP installer.

 What would make me, as a PHP newbie, go looking for an installer from
a 3rd party?  What if I don't want to install Apache or MySQL?

Amy wrote:

  --- In flexcod...@yahoogro ups.com, Jeffry Houser <j...@...> wrote:

     I prefer CF because it is what I know.  Since it comes from Adobe

  it's

    integration w/ Flex is top notch.

 After 2 days of trying, I gave up trying to get PHP to work on my

  dev

    machine; so I'm amused by the claim it can be setup w/ minimal fuss.

  I wonder how 10 minutes to find and install WAMP stacks up against the
time to order Coldfusion, get it, and install it...?

--
Jeffry Houser, Technical Entrepreneur
Adobe Community Expert: http://tinyurl. com/684b5h