We're using an SQL database with a ColdFusion "intermediary" between the Flex
app and the database...  I've used XML files to configure a couple of the
components -- give the user the option to change the layout of a component, for
example, by modifying the contents of a config.xml file, that sort of thing...
But I don't see us replacing our database with a bunch of XML files...  (Or
maybe I completely misunderstood your reply, which is quite possible...)

I was hoping that there might be a way to get the program to modify its VOs by
reading from an XML file what fields I want the VO to store...  But honestly, I
don't care where that info is stored...  I just need to figure out how to
dynamically modify a VO (and have ColdFusion realize that the VO has been
changed by the Flex app) so I can deal with databases that have had fields
added or changed without having to re-compile the entire program every time...
And then, of course, how to reference these dynamically-modified VOs in my
program.

Thanks,
L.