>> My sense is that Adobe has realized that it close to impossible to port
>> Flash to the staggering proliferation of tablets, smart phones, and other
>> devices.

That's why they have AIR.

The move away from Flash by Adobe may (and I'm really guessing here) have to do
with Windows 8 and its metro style.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_%28design_language%29
In Windows 8 the start screen (desktop) will look like a smart device (with
apps). Those are run in a slim (lightweight) browser
that does not support plugins.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Windows_8_Developer_Preview_Start_Screen.png

When you head off on the internet from one of those apps, you'll be using the
metro browser to surf the internet, meaning: no
plugins.
If you have the time, check out the Win8 videos: http://www.buildwindows.com/
Not sure which one has the browser explanation in it.. sorry.

I hope Adobe doesn't give up on FlashBuilder (and AS3/MXML) and hope that
moving forward we'll be able to use the same tool to
create JS/HTML apps, much like you can do now with Java, GWT and SmartGWT.
Google Web Toolkit: http://code.google.com/intl/nl/webtoolkit/
SmartGWT: http://code.google.com/p/smartgwt/
Samples: http://www.smartclient.com/smartgwt/showcase/ (puts flex component
framework to shame)

If Adobe came up with something like that, I'd be all over it.

regards,
Peter