I can't answer any of that for Adobe, but here is some input.

Granted, I agree that it should be a default css property that can be
easilty changed... It actually can be done without a ton of work.  The
easiest way to do that is to copy & modify the halo ButtonSkin class,
and use it as a custom skin on your button.  Just modify the
updateDisplayList function so that it draws the gradient rectangles on
top of each other, without the pixel offset for the border, when calling
the drawRoundRect functions.  Search for the string "// button fill" in
that class, and you will see the areas that need to be updated.  You
don't need to subclass the button at all.

You can find the halo skins as a reference at C:\Program
Files\Adobe\Flex Builder 2\Flex SDK 2\frameworks\source\mx\skins\halo

I have more info on skinning flex apps at
https://www.cynergysystems.com/blogs/page/andrewtrice?entry=making_flex_
less_flex_like

Hope that helps,

-Andy