I just wanted to pipe up with my opinion on this matter, because it
comes up a lot and the answers are always similar. And I get a little
frustrated because it seems like Adobe tries to say this isn't a
problem when it really is.

To reiterate this scenario: Someone asks "Why isn't Flex content
searchable by Google? Or how can I make it searchable by Google?" and
then someone invariably responds "Of course you can get your Flex (or
Flash) stuff indexed by Google! Google indexes SWFs and also here's a
bunch of roundabout ways to add textual content into the HTML wrapper,
etc, etc."

While I know Adobe employees don't like to admit this, the answer is
very simple: It is often impossible, and if not impossible then at
least extremely difficult, to get your Flex content indexed by search
engines. That's the straight answer. No more no less.

If I make a dynamic app using ASP, PHP, Coldfusion, or whatever that
outputs HTML, Google will index all the dynamic content because it
follows query-string links (or if you use mod_rewrite or whatever). So
if I have a full message board written like this then Google will
index all the content. The only way to get the same thing to happen
with a Flex app is to develop an alternative, non-Flex interface to
output the message board contents. Basically you have to make a PHP or
ASP version of your app as well as the Flex version.

I find any attempt by Adobe to pretend like this isn't a huge problem
very frustrating. EBay, Amazon, MySpace, YouTube, digg, you name any
large website and you can be guaranteed that they will not be using
Flex for the Web frontend for customers. They might use it for tons of
internal business apps (ebay) or for something that can remain
completely unindexed by Google (Yahoo Maps) or for media content
(YouTube), but they will never use Flex or Flash (as it currently is)
for the real frontend user interfaces.

Sorry for going on a bit of a rant. But just once I'd like to see an
answer from an Adobe employee saying "Yup, this is a real problem.
What you really want to do, for all practical purposes, is nearly
impossible with Flex. We're trying to work on it but for now you're
SOL." Because that's the real answer.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, John Dowdell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> sanjaypmg wrote:
> > Is Flex SEO Compatible?
> > If yes, How can I my flex application SEC compatible? so that it can
> > be easily available for search engines available.
>
> Work in Adobe Flex produces SWF files. Text within SWF files can be
> found and used by the search engines (contrary to widespread myth).
Example: