Hi g,

This page in the Flex 2 Language Reference covers ...
Using query string parameters  (under "NOTE" halfway down the page)
http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/2/docs/00001006.html

Personally, I use FlashVars to pass values into the SWF at runtime through
the HTML <object><embed> tags.

You can check these two links in the Flex 2 Language Reference for details:

Using flashVars
http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/2/docs/00001005.html

Using the Application.application.parameters object
http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/2/docs/00001004.html

Please post back whether this helped or not.