To be honest... all this talk I've been hearing about Apollo being used as
desktop applications using web technologies... I would kinda expect that you
can launch exe passing parameters ( like CLI style or something similar ),
talk to dynamic libraries like .dll ( Windows ), .so ( Linux )... kinda
surprised it doesn't support any of that yet... yet they call it desktop
applications... it's more like their own browser in my opinion... I doubt
this is how Apollo will be all the way. But if it does... can't say people
will move to it quickly while MDM Zinc is there being able to do all of that
( regardless Zinc is free or not ) and WPF/E

I had plans to write applications where I can use SQLite, MySQL, GD2, run
servers using TCP/IP on specific ports and ip addresses, video codecs like
divx, xvid and others... if all I can do is talk to the file system then I
may aswell stick with Flex 2... The only use I can see that for is for
offline storage applications like the ebay application and Amazon
application... Thats what alot of people want to do anyways but thats not
the only thing they want to do...

but then again I'm assuming quite abit here... I havn't got full info about
Apollo... but what I've been hearing about WPF/E compared to Apollo... I'm
assuming Apollo can't do some of the things I said above and I'm not
interested in WPF/E. As far as I know... only works on Windows but I still
watch it to see what people say about it... I like to be cross platform

I use Flex 2 alot for the things I'm doing now. I don't think I will be
using Apollo as much as I thought I predicted as I do with Flex 2

On 2/2/07, Kevin Newman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

  Tom Chiverton wrote:
> Does anyone or has read somewhere, if Apollo will allow you to launch
native
> local applications ?

As far as I know, Apollo is using webkit, does this include the ability
to run other plugins besides Flash (like Java)?

If so, can you use one of those other plugins (java, or perhaps a custom
plugin) to access native dlls and such by communicating from Flash to
Javascript, then to the other plugin in Javascript?

Kevin N.