> Can anyone provide any real world examples?

Sure.

I want to extend TreeItemRender, it's a 500 hundred line class so I'd rather
not rewrite it. The only available text presentation object in the class is
a UITextField which is instantiated in the createChildren method. I want to
replace it a VBOX then call grandparent.createChildren(). If I call
super.createChildren() then I have a conflict.

I don't know what the grandparent would do with that call, I don't think I
should have to. It would just be a whole lot more efficient if you could
override a method and not loss access to it place in the scheme of things.

tonio