Mark -

You should be able to do something like the following in your mxml file: (you could also construct the titleWindow in a creationComplete() handler after simply decarling it as a member var.)

  <mx:Script>
     <![CDATA[
      private var titleWindow:TitleWindow = new TitleWindow(...);

     ]]>
  </mx:Script>

hth
Scott

Scott Melby
Founder, Fast Lane Software LLC
http://www.fastlanesw.com

Mark Ingram wrote:

Hi, does anyone know if it's possible to create a reference in MXML (so that you can later use it as a variable and also easily use bindings) but not add it to the parent's children?

i.e.

<mx:Canvas>

            <mx:Script>

            Private function someEvent()

            {

                        PopUpManager.addPopUp(titleWindow);

            }

            </mx:Script>

            <mx:TitleWindow/>

</mx:Canvas>

I don't want the title window to be shown inside the canvas, I just want to create it as a variable.

Thanks,

Mark