Great idea - thanks :-)

________________________________

From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Samuel R. Neff
Sent: 25 October 2007 14:13
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [flexcoders] Add reference in MXML without adding to
children

Wrap it inside an <mx:Object> tag as in the following example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml
<http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml> " layout="vertical">
<mx:Button label="Test" click="trace('instantiated: ' +
(textDeferred.parent ? 'Yes' : 'No'))" />
<mx:Button label="Instantiate" click="if (textDeferred.parent ==
null) addChild(textDeferred);" />
<mx:Object>
<mx:content>
<mx:Label id="textDeferred" text="Here I am!" />
</mx:content>
</mx:Object>
</mx:Application>

Note that the property name "mx:content" doesn't matter, it can be
anything,
just needs to be something so the content gets assigned to a property of
the
object.

If you're going to do this a lot it would be cleaner to create your own
class that defines a default property, say DontInstantiate, then you do
something like:

<DontInstantiate>
<mx:Label ... />
</DontInstantiate>

And the end result is the same but is easier to understand what's going
on.
You'll need to define a default property in order to put your nested
content
directly inside the nested class.

HTH,

Sam

We're Hiring! Seeking a passionate developer to join our team building
Flex
based products. Position is in the Washington D.C. metro area. If
interested
contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:careers%40blinemedical.com>