Is this a Flex app on a web page? I am not sure about an AIR project but with Flex and webservices, you still have the benefit of cookies and sessions. I am working a project that uses a standard web page login that gets the user logged in and the session started. After that it moves to the Flex app. The user doesn't have to log in again unless the session expires which is determined by the server. Subsequent calls to webservices maintain that information. I am using Django (Python) but it should be similar for other backends.

Are your webservices within the same domain? If not, are you able to pass a token for authentication?

Michael

Jeffry Houser wrote:

Yes, MD5 is a hashing algorithm and it is unlikely you'd be able to
take a hash and get the original text (in a timely / efficient manner).

There are a few AS3 encryption projects. ASCrypt3:
ascrypt3.riaforge.com and Crypto http://crypto.hurlant.com/ <http://crypto.hurlant.com/>

Both of them have 2-way encryption algorithms you could use. AES
perhaps? That said, I worry about the security implications of storing
this type of authentication between application uses.

--
Jeffry Houser, Technical Entrepreneur, Software Developer, Author,
Recording Engineer